Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Turning Japanese.

My dear friend Emillama and I share a birthday week and a love for delicious baked goods. To honor the day she was expelled from a uterus, I decided to try my hand at an ambitions cake decorating project. Emily loves green tea and all things Japanese, so I wanted to go with a Japanese/sushi theme for her cake. The cake is a vegan green tea mini cake (recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World). The cherry blossoms are made of marzipan and the "sushi" is made from halved marshmallows which I frosted and rolled in green sugar. They're topped with white buttercream and coconut "rice", and the center of the sushi rolls is just some organic dried papaya pieces. I initially intended to make the entire cake vegan, but the marshmallows worked too well to pass up. The cake and frosting are 100% vegan.

Inspired by emillama, The Vapors, and the Wilton mini-cake pan that I've been dying to use.







1 comment:

Kathy Bejma said...

I love love love your sushi cake!
It Kicks Ass!
K*